Let's jump right in. Last time on inside Goop, we (me, I) provided useless commentary on many of GPal's suggestions ... here's the rest! (Should we talk about how inside Goop has been dead since nablopomo '10? no? good, cause I'm Frankensteining that shit.)(Also, why did I commit to such a long post on a day no one is anywhere near the internet? For the archive readers, I guess? Because I'm an idiot? Who can say for sure.) Gift Guide For Lovers:
- This is a table, with a butt, with a two of spades in it. In the butt, not the table. This butt is nicer than mine, and also it has a card IN it. This is confusing in a lot of ways, both by looking at it but also for whom would I buy this? Not Crockett, because see 'butt nicer than mine'. Not anyone else because ... genuinely, who wants this?
- Thigh highs with bows on the back designed by Rihanna. Yes.
- Some weird club with no listed cost and a mysterious application process that involves a blood oath?? Yes. (GPal sort of nailed this one, although the connected leather pasties leave me confused as to their place in the world.)
- I don't necessarily object to a mixed oils kit. I love a good self care system as much as the next girl. What I'm not crazy about is the caption: For the inevitable, holidays-induced anxiety attack. Say what now? Is it just me, or does shit like that reinforce stress for people who have it and create a weird expectation for people who otherwise wouldn't have it? NO, it's not just me. Knock it off, guys. Let stress appear organically, ok?
- Is this a city thing? A leather strapped merino sweater to keep your double wine cool on the subway? Because out here in the wild west, we put our wine on the floor of our car when we drive to parties, just like everyone else.
- Four ceramic ice cream cones for $100? I'm so damn torn. Hand one: ridiculous. Hand two: if someone would just buy me the $400 ice cream maker I've been eyeballing since PASTRY SCHOOL (honestly I would not make very much ice cream, it's the right call that no one has purchased this for me) then this would be the perfect way to serve said ice cream.
The Personalized Gift Guide (I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but nothing had the name Emma on it when I was a kid. People frequently thought my name was short for Emily. Therefore, this is kind of my sweet spot.)
- Custom dyed bedding is NOT my sweet spot. I can only imagine if someone bought this for me and Crockett, and literally offered the entire Pantone color wheel to choose from. We'd never get sheets. Ever. These $500 sheets are for the decisive. And possibly the single.
- As a person who wore a signet-ish ring as an engagement ring for a year recently, I recommend against. They're lovely but man alive are they not as comfy as normal rings. Thumbs down. Also, psa: I'm 99% sure you cannot wear a signet ON your thumb.
- These shoes claim you can put a custom image on them, but based on the pictures, they're actually the shoe version of a high school ring. In that as long as your custom image is selectable from a clip art list, you're good to go. If they're actually custom, why are we only seeing a smily face, stethoscope, and kiss lips? And if they ARE from clip art, how do they take FOUR MONTHS? These shoes are confusing.
The Thinker Gift Guide (this is insulting to anyone who wants to shop from the other guides, right? "Smarty guide and the rest of you"?)
- Writing utensils! Smart people put words down into a way other people can read them, it's a truthy truth from GPal's fingers to your eyeballs. (She 100% did not write that, also. What I said OR whatever the goop site says about the pencils.) Also, it's an $85 brass ball point pen and the like, if you're getting link fatigue. I am.
- Very heavy paper weights for your very heavy thoughts that you put in paper form!
- A drawing kit made of nothing but black, like ... your soul? Your feelings? Are colored pencils only for the simple, GPal? Smart people can get their point across without all that nuance?
- A pot box. That's fun.
The one we've allllll been waiting for .... The Ridiculous but Awesome Gift Guide
- Dennis Hopper's record collection. DENNIS HOPPER'S RECORD COLLECTION. It's $150,000, it's 110 records, you don't get to know what most of them are, they're all 'as is', and Dennis Hopper was the bad guy in Speed. No part of this makes sense. (Plus, there's only one and it's still available. I'm would have thought some overly committed overly moneyed GPal enthusiast would have snapped it up by now?)
- "Our [$2995 leather wrapped] Bicycle is great for cycling enthusiasts, either as fashionable transportation or as a sculptural decor element." Crockett says: the snozzberries taste like snozzberries! Also, there's no further info about the bike. Like, what's the frame under the leather? Steel? Aluminum? And old bike this company stole from outside their neighborhood coffee shop?
- Yeah, we're into this weird briefcase lap desk thing. Probably because one of the pictures looks like it could have been taken at Sparrows Lodge, the place we minimooned. I bet if GPal knew about it she'd write about it and we'd have to pay a million dollars to go back, so no one tell her.
There you go. I hope Gwennie and I just made your Christmas easier.