It's that time again - movie club time! The choice this week was one that Sam and Jason made together, for reasons that they worked out with their cyclist brains that are beyond the comprehension of a normal person. I'm on vacation today, and this is my last NaBloPoMo post. I was hoping to end with something a little more closurey, but you can't deny movie club day when it comes upon you. I give you... my thoughts on Re-Animator!
- What is it about German heritage that seems to go so well with being a medical professional? It's like sugar and spice. Peanut butter and jelly. Exploding eyeballs and crappy horror films from the 80s.
- We're zooming in very very closely on the words 'external rectus'. Maybe I'm just 12 at heart (ok no maybe about it) but did they just do a close up anatomical drawing of the body part I think they did? Heehee- butts.
- Since when do we call flat lined patients 'straight lined'? I call bullshit - you're making up your own language, H.P. Lovecraft, and I'm not going to let you get away with it. Also, I'm pretty sure that a normal autopsy doesn't involve burning a hole in a skull and sticking a q-tip into it.
- The boob shot! And only ten minutes in. Point, Re-Animator.
- Was anyone else tempted to try pulling the skin off of a head after the doctor described it as 'like pulling the skin off a large orange'? No? Yeah, me neither.
- I think our hero is wearing women's scrubs. Either than or men's used to have a much deeper v-neck than they do now.
- HE KILLED THE CAT!? Are you kidding me? I'm about two seconds from turning this off - that is unacceptable. Unacceptable, I say. Also, if you kill your roommate's cat and he finds you bringing it back to life and is forced to kill it because it's attacking you, the appropriate response is not to pretend the cat is coming back to life again behind him and then point and laugh.
- I will never take any medicine that glows or creates light of any kind. We can go ahead and add that to my fuck it list.
- They're re-animating a dead body without taking him out of the morgue. How are they going to explain that, srsly? 'Oh, well, we uh... this guy with the y-incision, turns out uh... he wasn't really dead. Oh, that slavering he's doing? That's nothing, don't worry about it. We'll be leaving now.'
- Remember how I wrote about men not asking women's father's for permission to get married? I think that my boyfriend creating a zombie, allowing that zombie to kill my dad, and then re-animating my dad would be worse. Nothing like a little perspective.
- I think zombie dad just used his zombie powers to protect his daughter from a lecherous old man. An unexpected zombie upside.
- Herbert West, the anti-hero, apparently thinks doing the robot dance is how people act sneaky. Because nothing says 'don't look over here' like popping and locking.
- According to this man's facial expressions, having your disembodied head carried around by your body is sort of orgasmic. I have a hard time believing that's what he was going for, but to each his own.
- The disembodied head keeps losing his breath. It is just me or does breath have something to do with, you know, lungs?
- Full on nudity at 1:09. In case you were waiting. Of course the nudity is slightly marred by the bodyless head grossly ogling it. EWEWEW EWWWWW headless body is feeling up the unconscious girl! Thank you Re-Animator, for my next six months worth of nightmares. I was getting tired of the stuck-in-the-mall one from Dawn of the Dead. Oh... oh... the head is ... ok this is the grossest thing I've ever seen in my life.
- Pale zombie makeup really brings out the yellowness of your teeth.
- I swear the heroine's name has gone back and forth from April to Megan in each scene.
- ZOMBIE DAD COMES THROUGH. Awww, I knew you would, zombie dad. That's what dads are for.
- Apparently zombies have control of body parts that regular people do not - for example, intestines. I could not strangle someone with my intestines.
- I think the last zombie is a Klingon. I find that incredibly confusing, but who am I to judge.
All in all, a good watch. Possibly the best not-good movie we've watched since we undertook this crazy mission.
Emmanation rating: A dozen delicious vanilla bean cupcakes from your local bakery that your friend licked before giving to you.