I wonder if I was any good when I sang in a band. Indications that I *was*:
- The boys whose band it was actually let me join and I did audition first and everything
- People clapped?
- Sometimes people bought me drinks?
- We were in a battle of the bands and didn't get kicked out after the first round
Indications that I wasn't:
- Literally everything above can be explained by the fact that I was a 24 year old woman who was willing to wear short skirts and wholesomely flirt with a whole room full of people simultaneously (<- real skill, still have it ... think I could spin a TED talk outta that?)
- WE DID PRIMUS COVERS - how could I possibly have done those well? Primus is a) not meant for a female alto and b) the worst
I was going to see if our old website was still out there so I could glory in pictures of myself in pinstriped skirts and mens ties as belts, but there's a new band in Denver that seems to have co-opted our name. Which is weird, because The Take didn't make that much sense as a name the first time around - we were constantly having to explain it. The boys were constantly, constantly high and I think they came up with that and 'Barefoot Dan' and made me choose between the two options. Actually, I guess it's pretty reasonable to think that the new The Take got there the same way ...
I'm going to start a new band, and it's going to be me playing guitar as well as possible (so, you know, poorly) and doing nothing but solo versions of Barenaked Ladies covers. I *am* going to call it Barefoot Dan, because I have no better ideas.
If THAT takes off, we'll know I've got skills and the sky's the limit, babies.